Sunday, November 11, 2007

what's up doc?

I guess the first and probrably the hardest lesson a parent must learn is that ultimatley, a child, your child, has their very own destiny and that they will choose it themselves despite your nagging!

Toddlers discover quickly that they have their own mind to make up. We as parents spend all of our time dreaming on what we want for our children (as they grow... for instance a career), what sports we want them to play, or not play and stressing over ways to protect them at all cost. The vast reality is this... We have truely done our jobs as parents if our children become happy healthy adults, or at best if they can learn from the mistakes that they make.

Today, while I was sleeping Madison and her Daddy went to Ma-maw's and Pa-paw's to watch football. There Madison got a new toy. A doctor kit. (I have been wanted to get her one, so thank you =oP ) Aaron was telling me how she was wearing her stethoscope and listening to everyones heart and her own going "dah-ter"(doctor)and using the otoscope to look at peoples mouth and tell them "Ahhhh" I love it! What a smart little thing. She is so full of personality! I love to watch her discover and explore new things. I hope she continues to explore and play until she finds that one thing that is just right for her... and no matter what we will be there for her to catch her is she falls. As long as she is happy, we will have done our job!

1 comments:

manda said...

I totally agree! I don't have any grand plans for Ada becoming something like... a Dr or lawyer, in fact, I worry that I won't encourage her enough. I personally can't stand the thought of the stress and debt such an education can cause.

I was reading about this the other day, our parents wanted grand things for us, big houses, great cars... we've gone the opposite way and realize just how rich someone is who is happy.